Day 127-129. May 9-11, 2013 Massage, family, friends, work, training

Here I find myself behind on my blogging.  I am starting to get busier, helping out a few friends with some administrative work,  and am having problems getting to the computer.  I think I may try blogging every other day for awhile to see if that helps.

May 9, 2013.

Today was all about meeting up with my cousin Denise, getting a massage and meeting up with some friends in Ft. Lauderdale.  It was a perfect afternoon.  My cousin is a massage therapist among other things and whenever I can I like to get together with her and catch up and then get a massage.  On this trip I finally got to see her new place.  Its really nice and as it turns out like 5 minutes from my friends so it worked out great.

Denise had a lot to catch up on but the most fun was to hear about her trip to india.  We talked for about an hour and then it was massage time.  I have been a little stressed so she had some work to do.  It was great.

I then took off to my friend Carley and Dave’s place.  From there we took of to Las Olas for dinner.  Carley was already there getting her hair done.  She ran into some other friends and  they were going to join us for dinner.  It ended up not working out because they had their dog and the restaurant outside sitting was full.  So we talked for a bit.  They invited me to spend a few weeks in Newport this summer.  May take them up on it since Steve will be up there.

We then proceeded to dinner.  Dave has had a hard week so we ordered wine first.  Polished off 2 bottles with dinner.  Then we went back to their house and kept the wine flowing.  Up until 2am solving all the world’s problems.  So much fun.

What I learned today is I need to get massages more often.  I shouldn’t wait until i am all mangled.

May 10, 2013.

Today was about getting home and getting some work done.  I tried but couldn’t because the office was changing internet and phone so I could not log on.  I had no idea this was happening.  So i took the rest of the day to relax and clean up a bit.

What I learned today is that it’s great to have technology keep you from working.

May 11, 2013.

Today was about getting serious about my half ironman training.  It is time.  I am all recovered from my severe sinus infection and eye injury.  After all that I have been struggling to get going again.  So today I was determined.  I had a 2 hour and 15 minute ride.  Its a base building workout so I needed to stay in zone 2-3 for my heart rate.  On the way out there was a big head wind.  It was hard to maintain those zones so we went very slow.  Average 12 mph.  I wanted to go faster but I kept in my zones.  On the way back it was fun.  The wind was behind us so we were able to go a bit faster.


Our bikes at Homestead Marina-Turn around point


My biking buddy


All done

What I learned today is that it doesn’t take much to get your heart rate up in a head wind.  I also learned that you can maintain your heart rate by dropping gears.  I had never noticed that before.  Probably since I never rode with my heart rate monitor.  The other thing I was working on today is to concentrate on pulling up as I pedal.  I have never really paid attention to that so today I wanted to practice.  It was interesting to see how my heart rate dropped when I was doing that as well.  This year I will make sure I follow the heart rate zones and see how I improve from last year.  I can’t wait.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s